by Calculated Risk on 8/14/2019 06:12:00 PM
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Thursday: Retail Sales, Unemployment Claims, Industrial Production, NY and Philly Fed Mfg Surveys, Homebuilder Confidence
Note: On October 23rd, I will be one of three speakers at the "2020 Economic Forecast featuring the UCI Paul Merage School of Business" in Newport Beach, California, sponsored by the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce.
UCI Finance Professor Christopher Schwarz and I will be discussing the 2020 economic outlook, and Dr. Richard Afable will be discussing "The Future of the Healthcare System".
This is a lunch time event (from 11:15 am to 1:30 pm) at the Balboa Bay Resort.
Click here for more information and tickets. Tickets are $65 for members, and $75 for non-members and includes lunch. (I'm speaking for free).
• At 8:30 AM: The initial weekly unemployment claims report will be released. The consensus is for 208 thousand initial claims, down from 209 thousand last week.
• Also at 8:30 AM: Retail sales for July is scheduled to be released. The consensus is for 0.3% increase in retail sales.
• Also at 8:30 AM: The New York Fed Empire State manufacturing survey for August. The consensus is for a reading of 2.5, down from 4.3.
• Also at 8:30 AM: the Philly Fed manufacturing survey for August. The consensus is for a reading of 11.1, down from 21.8.
• At 9:15 AM: The Fed will release Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization for July. The consensus is for a 0.1% increase in Industrial Production, and for Capacity Utilization to decrease to 77.8%.
• At 10:00 AM: The August NAHB homebuilder survey. The consensus is for a reading of 66, up from 65. Any number above 50 indicates that more builders view sales conditions as good than poor.