by Bill McBride on 8/15/2012 07:16:00 PM
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
The Kansas City Fed doesn't publicly release the dates of the symposium ahead of time. I'll post the schedule when it is available, but here are a few tentative details:
• Jackson Hole Economic Symposium, Thursday, August 30th through Saturday, Sept 1st.
• Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke speaks on Friday, August 31st at 10 AM ET.
• ECB President Mario Draghi speaks on Saturday, September 1st at 10 AM.
Note: Markets will be closed the following Monday for Labor Day on September 3rd.
Here are a few other more dates:
• Political conventions: Republicans August 27–30 in Tampa, and Democrats September 3–6 in Charlotte. The election is on November 6th.
• September 3rd, EU Finance Minsters Meeting.
• September 6th, Governing Council meeting of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt with a press conference to follow. ECB President Mario Draghi is expected to discuss how the ECB will help lower Spanish and Italian borrowing costs.
• September 12th at 6 AM ET, Germany's Constitutional Court is expected to rule on the new eurozone bailout fund and fiscal treaty.
• September 12th and 13th: the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meets. After this meeting the FOMC will release updated Summary of Economic Projections, and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke will hold a press conference. Major economic releases before the FOMC meeting: August 29th, second estimate of Q2 GDP, and September 7th, the August employment report. PCE price index for July will be released on August 30th.
• Mid-September: Euro-zone finance ministers' informal meetings in Nicosia.
• October 4th, Governing Council meeting of the European Central Bank in Ljubljana with a press conference to follow.
• October 8th, Finance Ministers meeting in Luxembourg.
• European Council meeting, October 18th and 19th in Brussels.
• October 23rd and 24th: the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meets.